Thursday, July 17, 2014

How I washed my kinky twist extensions

It's been almost two weeks since I got my kinky twists installed and it was time for a wash. I was noticing that my scalp was starting to itch. I know from past experience that although it would make it quicker and easier to just stand under the shower head to wash it, I then have to deal with the arduous task of getting the twists and my roots completely dry as to not cause any mildew or unattractive smell.

I started researching and found a method to just get my roots washed by using applicator bottles... GENIUS! I bought two from Sally's Beauty ($2.29/each) in one I put cold water and grapeseed oil and in the other I put warm water, shampoo, and tea tree oil.


I then divided my hair into four loose ponytails, allowing access to my roots while getting the twists out the way. I then clipped a towel around my neck just to catch any of  the excess water that may dribble down. I tried to make it as effortless as possible.
                         

Here is a picture of my scalp before I started, so you can see there's some flakes:

I then began applying the warm water/shampoo/oil mixture to my scalps and rubbing it in, creating a light lather. The reason for the tea tree oil is because it's an anti-fungal and antibacterial oil so it's perfect to use for a pre-poo (Not the greatest picture but you can see the slight lather, especially in the middle):

After doing that in all four sections I then used the other bottle with the cold water and grapeseed oil. Grapeseed oil is a great sealant for natural hair. So while the cold water cleansed and closed up the hair follicle, the grape seed oil locked in the moisture. Once it was completely cleared of the shampoo, I then blowdried my hair on low heat using my handheld dryer, allowing me to get close to the roots. Afterwards my head felt and looked amazing. This is an after picture, you can clearly see the difference: 

I then oiled my scalp with the Soultanical Scalp Oil I told you about in my previous post and that's how I washed my kinky twist extensions :)

No comments: