Saturday, July 17, 2010

Guest Post -- What Works For Me

Hey all my natural divas and divos (maybe guys read this?? who knows lol). I was approached this week on Twitter by an amazing lady who wanted to know if I'd be interested in having her guest blog :) This is my first time having someone else's post on my blog but I completely welcome anyone who wants to. I love having the inputs of other natural hair people

A little background info on her; Christine_LW is a mother of three and the owner of neosoul.essentials, llc. Founded on the principles of natural skin and hair care, neosoul.essentials, llc carries natural, paraben free products for the hair and body. Visit neosoul.essentials for product information.

************
A great big thank you to bigGirlbigHair for affording me the privilege of a guest post on her blog. Natural hairstyles and hair care has been a passion of mine ever since I went natural about seven years ago. I chopped off four inches of damaged, brittle relaxed hair when I was five months pregnant with my first child. Believe me, I was glad to do it – so much simpler to deal with!

The most important thing I discovered about my natural hair is that it is no easier or harder to deal with than my relaxed hair. Honestly. It’s just as much work, and it’s just as dry!

My favorite style is the washNgo fro, which has its pros and cons. It’s a great style if you’re on the go, but let me tell you, it tangles easily and you have to be VERY careful to keep it as moisturized as you can because it’s exposed to the air.

Here are some of the oils and butters that I use on my scalp and my hair to keep my ‘do as shiny and moisturized as possible. Folks, I’m not inventing the wheel here, but just letting you know what works for me.

Coconut Oil – Coconut oil lends a shine and sheen to your hair. I use it as an after-shampoo treatment because it replenishes the oils that shampoo can strip from your hair. Simply wash your hair and blot it until it’s damp. Then, slather on the coconut oil. Coat your hair from scalp to end, then cover with a plastic cap. If the hair is feeling really dry, sleep in the plastic cap! After you are finished with the treatment, rinse your hair (do not wash). This treatment should leave your hair feeling soft and manageable.

I also use coconut oil as a quick shine booster. Simply take a dime sized portion of oil, rub it between your palms and apply to the hair.

Shea Butter – I’ve heard a lot of controversy about this one. Some users feel it’s too heavy or too greasy for the hair. As I wrote before, each individual has his/her preferences. I do not use shea butter on my scalp, but I do use it to smooth down my edges and seal my ends.

Olive Oil – Olive oil is one of my favorite oils, and is readily available in your local supermarket. This oil can be used as a hot oil treatment, scalp oil and a shine booster. Olive oil conditions and nourishes your hair – and is inexpensive to boot. Use it in the same way you would use the coconut oil - massage into wet hair and let sit. Depending on your hair’s texture, you might not have to rinse it out – experiment with that to see what works for you.

Experiment with different oils to see which give you the results you desire.

No comments: